The world is getting weirder with every passing day. I have heard of Beauty contests, Cute Kids contests, Cute Cats contests, Sweet Faces contests, Bull Dog Beauty Contest, and many such contests which qualify the definition of ‘beauty’ . The Free Dictionary defines beauty as-
n. pl. beau·ties
1. The quality that gives pleasure to the mind or senses and is associated with such properties as harmony of form or color, excellence of artistry, truthfulness, and originality.
2. One that is beautiful, especially a beautiful woman.
3. A quality or feature that is most effective, gratifying, or telling: The beauty of the venture is that we stand to lose nothing.
4. An outstanding or conspicuous example: “Hammett’s gun went off. The shot was a beauty, just slightly behind the eyes” Lillian Hellman.
Now if I go by the saying that ‘beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder’, then the 4th definition definitely qualifies for the World’s Ugliest Dog Contest.
The 20th Annual World’s Ugliest Dog Contest held at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Petaluma chose a Florida dog named Gus, a Chinese Crested, for the honourable title of Ugliest Dog for the Year 2008.
Though the poor pooch is suffering from skin cancer but his looks swept away the hearts of the judges and won him two trophies and a fat cheque of $1,600. The main reasons that held him high on the pedestal were his enchanting looks-
– Has 3 legs; got one amputated because of skin tumor.
– Is one eyed; he lost his one eye to a tom cat in cat-dog fight.
In a way a lot of credit goes to people, who actually pet these animals rather than abandoning them. The mother and daughter owners Jeanenne and Janey Teed of Gus were obviously thrilled, and plan to put the money in radiation treatment for their poochy pooch. Very thoughtful indeed. I don’t have guts to pet such animals but I can definitely give acclamations to these people through my blog. Ha!
After the competition got over Gus met the former winners Archie (2006 winner) and Elwood (2007 winner)
Congratulations to the ugly cute dog -Gus!